Sunday, June 7, 2015

Unemployment Insurance and my Termination Package

I applied for Unemployment Insurance today.

Even though my employer graciously "cough" gave me 10 weeks termination pay, I applied for unemployment insurance today just in case. This is my first time ever applying for unemployment insurance in my 20 years of working for the man. It's a bizarre feeling to say the least. It was a fairly simple online process, I guess they will be sending me a confirmation in the mail. Hopefully I will not need to receive it once my 10 weeks termination pay runs out....down to almost 9 at the time of writing this.

Termination Package

I was with my employer for just over 3 years. They gave me 10 weeks plus a portion of profit sharing. If we live frugally, this should sustain us for 6 months of living expenses or so.

Is this amount of Termination pay fair?
The minimum they could have paid me by law here in Ontario is 3 weeks pay, however as a manager, it's not uncommon to receive more than that. Honestly, I expected to receive 6 months pay, not the 10 weeks that they gave me. I did review the "package" with my lawyer last week. He said I had a 50/50 chance of getting 20 weeks instead, less estimated legal fees of $3000 if it went to court. Still pondering this, not sure its worth it to pursue further. I do feel kinda cheated by the whole thing though. More to come......

I would love to hear if you went through the process of receiving a package, and pursuing it further with legal action. How did it work out for you?





No comments:

Post a Comment